Is this Circle right for you? If so, make sure you meet the criteria that the mentor has defined. Then, complete your mentorship profile if you have not already done so, and return to our Mentor Circles Application page, make your selection and click 'apply'.
Need more info before you make your choice? Use the dropdown below to view other circles in order to help inform your decision.
Do you want to help create fantastical creatures, inspiring superheroes, and otherworldly aliens? Do you dream of working on major film franchises, and getting to work with amazing actors and technicians to bring the impossible to life. Then Performance Animation and Motion Editing might be the path for you!
Not sure how to break into this dynamic field? Or how to build the kind of career you want, but aren’t sure how to do it while still honoring your boundaries and desires for your family? Want to learn how to set yourself up to balance a professional and a home life? Then this circle will give you all the tools to do just that.
In Breaking Into Performance Capture and Motion Editing (Bonus: While Balancing Family), you will learn the essentials of what it takes to get started in this part of the industry and also gain tools for protecting your personal time as well.
By the end of the term, you will:
- Understand the Performance Capture and Motion Editing Pipeline—how these steps fit into the overall production process, the various jobs related to this field that help get the job, and the path one might take from first gig to Supervising.
- Know how to set yourself up to apply for and land jobs by creating strong resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, portfolios, etc. You’ll also have a clear picture of how recruiting works and what the job application process is like.
- Learn how to show up professionally so that recruiters and bosses take notice of you.
- Develop tools for managing the stresses and anxieties that come along with making the leap into the industry.
- Set yourself up to learn to make time for both getting ahead at work, and making sure you don’t miss out on family or other personal obligations.
Criteria / Experience Level:
Aspiring Professional (0 yrs of experience)
Entry Level (1-2 yrs of experience)
Times Per Month: Twice
Meeting Times: 9:30pm to 11:30pm EST
Carol Madrigal is a Motion Editor for WETA FX and a freelance Unreal Engine artist. Her passion for art and creative work started when she was very young, while growing up in Venezuela creating Virgin Mary banners for events at her Catholic School.
After receiving a scholarship to study at the Savannah College of Art and Design, she immigrated to the US, earning a BFA in 2D and 3D animation in 2002. Following graduation, she landed a motion capture artist position with Giant Studios, where she mastered the Giant/Lightstorm software suite. Carol has been credited as a motion capture artist in a multitude of films and games such as Polar Express, James Cameron’s Avatar, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: End Game, She Hulk, Avatar: The Way of the Water and more. Her resume includes names from leading studios such as Profile Studios and WETA FX.
Carol was selected to be a part of the Unreal Engine Fellowship in Fall 2020 where she completed the short film, “Virtual Field Trip.” Today, she has committed to a new chapter as a content creator using UE.
Title/Expertise: Motion Edtior
Company: Weta FX
LinkedIn / Website: