Is this Circle right for you? If so, make sure you meet the criteria that the mentor has defined. Then, complete your mentorship profile if you have not already done so, and return to our Mentor Circles Application page, make your selection and click 'apply'.
Need more info before you make your choice? Use the dropdown below to view other circles in order to help inform your decision.
Do you want to use your artistic skills to make a sparkly, scaly dragon’s skin? Or maybe the shiny metal body of a robot-alien. Or maybe you’re excited about bringing realistic skin color and texture to human characters to show off the amazing diversity of our world. If so, this circle can help you do that.
- The evolution of Color in Animation – from INK & PAINT to TEXTURE & SHADING.
- Understanding Texture Maps – the PBR pipeline and how to use the different maps to achieve certain material aspects.
- The importance of UV mapping and Texture painting techniques (with Maya and Substance Painter).
- Introduction to Shading – importing and combining the texture maps (Maya / Renderman)
- Introduction to Grooming – basic fur and hair (Maya / xgen)
- Practice creating 3 to 4 material variants of the same 3D model that will be provided.
Times Per Month: Twice
Meeting Times: 9am to 11am PST
I’m Natalia Freitas, 3D Artist and 2D Animator. I’ve been working in the animation industry since 2010. Thanks to my career, I have collected experience as an artist in Brazil, Germany, USA and Canada. I have worked for companies like Walt Disney Animation Studios, Sony Imageworks, Mikros Animation, Nickelodeon, Passion Pictures, Mill Film, DNEG, etc.
I have a Bachelor degree in Fine Arts & Traditional 2D Animation (ESCOLA DE BELAS ARTES – UFMG / Brazil) and a postgraduate degree in VFX & CG Animation (Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg / Germany). Besides my contributions in the film industry as a 3D artist, I also directed four short Films (“Leve Voo”, “Cafeka”, “Electrofly” and “Cuckoo Land”), worked on over 15 short film projects, one animated series and 8 feature films.
Title/Expertise: Surfacing Artist (DNEG Animation)
LinkedIn / Website: