Women in Animation (“WIA”) Privacy Statement
Effective Date: April 17, 2021
PLEASE READ THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT CAREFULLY BECAUSE BY ACCESSING THE SITES AND/OR CREATING AN ACCOUNT WITH US OR ALLOWING SOMEONE TO USE THE SITES ON YOUR BEHALF, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THE COLLECTION, USE, DISCLOSURE, TRANSFER AND STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OR OTHER INFORMATION RECEIVED BY US AS A RESULT OF SUCH USE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SITES.
Because the web is an evolving medium, this Statement may be updated from time-to-time, in which case we will post the revised Statement on our website and update the “Last Updated” date to reflect the date of the changes. If we make a material change to this Statement, we will notify you by prominently posting the changes on our Sites or by using the contact information you have on file with us. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Statement to keep up to date on how we are handling your information.
Please note that this Privacy Statement is subject to an arbitration provision, requiring you to arbitrate any claims you may have against us on an individual basis. ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS MEANS THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE, AND YOU WAIVE, THE RIGHT FOR A JUDGE OR JURY TO DECIDE YOUR CLAIMS, IF ANY, AND THAT YOU MAY NOT PROCEED IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED OR REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY.
I. Types of Personal Information We Collect
“Personal information” is information that can identify an individual. WIA collects (i) personal information voluntarily supplied by you when you use the Sites; and (ii) tracking information collected as you navigate the Sites. We note that over time, non-personal information could become personal information through regulatory developments, technological advancements, or co-mingling with personal information. The types of information we collect from you depends on the services and features you use on WIA Sites, which may include:
- User Information: User Information is information you submit to WIA when using the Sites. This information can include, but is not limited to, first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, company, and other similar information. We may also collect personal information from you when you sign up on our Sites to receive information from WIA or to contact us.
- Demographic Information: We may collect information about you such as your age, gender, city, state, and country.
- Educational and Professional Information: We may collect information about your educational background, professional experience, and other similar information.
- Payment Information: We may collect information necessary to process your Membership subscription fees, donations, and other orders. This information may include your name, email address, phone number, billing information, shipping information, and payment information, including your credit card number and its expiration date, in order to process your payment. We may use a third party to process your payment and to handle your payment information. We may also maintain a record of your payments and orders.
- Internet, technical or other similar network activity: We may collect data about how you and your devices interact with our Sites and our related services. This could include features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter. This could also include data information about your devices and the network you use to connect to our services, including IP addresses, device identifiers, and data information about the performance of the services you use on our Sites and any problems you experience with them.
- Job or Volunteer Application Information. We will collect information you submit to us when applying for an available position online, including but not limited to, first name, last name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and any additional information that you may provide through the Platform.
- Content and Other Information You Provide to Us: We collect additional content and information that you voluntarily provide us, such as content you submit when you contact us via email, telephone, or in person. This may also include all other content you provide to us to process your applications (such as the short film program or mentorship and scholarship applications).
- Profile Pictures: Additionally, you may decide to include a profile picture as a member. By providing us with a picture, you understand that you do not intend to monetize this photo. The picture you provide us will be viewable by other WIA members, and we may use your profile picture to help build an online member community, and to encourage new subscriptions and donations by other members.
- Location Information. We may collect your location information when using the Sites. This information may help us provide recommendations to you based on your location, serve you with advertisements, or direct you to a product or service that we believe may be of interest to you.
- Audience Based Data. We also receive audience based data (such as pixel traffic and conversion data) from social media platform providers, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr and other based on non-identifiable information such as IP addresses. We use this information to perform marketing tracking. To block or limit this activity, please visit the sites below:
- Twitter: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170405
- Facebook: You should see a link to the opt-out when you select “Why am I seeing this?” when using Facebook. You can also select “Hide all from this advertiser” within Facebook to stop seeing our ads. More information can be found on Facebook’s site here: http://www.facebook.com/business/help/1415256572060999
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/62931/manage-advertising-preferences
- Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/privacy/en
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/155833707900388/%22
You have choices about the information we collect. When you are asked to provide personal information, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide information that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.
II. How We Collect Personal Information
We collect personal information through a variety of methods, both online and offline, passively and directly. When you visit WIA Sites, for example, with the help of our third party authorized agents, we may collect your personal information as described below:
A. Passive Collection
We may collect information passively, while you are visiting or interacting with our Sites. We call this “passive” collection because you may not know that this information is being collected when you visit or interact with our Sites. This information may consist of the following items: website visitors’ IP address, IP address-related information, system Media Access Control address, network configuration information, network device information, browser plug-in type and versions, and operating system.
Finally, in order to help facilitate the delivery of relevant content, we may utilize other third party data analytics tools to identify how users engage with our Sites and to provide us with information regarding our users.
B. Direct Collection
As noted above, we collect and store the personal information from you directly, at the time you supply information to us via the Sites. If you do not want us to collect your personal information, please do not provide it to us.
This information may be collected in the following instances:
- Donations, Membership Subscriptions, Purchases & Refunds: When you sign up to become a WIA member, make a donation, or otherwise make a payment through our Sites, we require that you provide your personal information, such as your name, email address, school or company, job title, shipping/billing address, phone number, credit card number and its expiration date in order to process and track your order. We may maintain a record of your transactions with us. We may also require you to provide your personal information to process refunds.
- Membership Directory: If you become a member, you will provide us with a profile picture as well as other personal information such as your address, phone number, school or alma mater, company, job title.
- Creating a Membership Account: When you create an account on any of our Sites, we may ask for your full name and email address. We also ask you to create a password to access your account. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password. You need an account to get discounts to some WIA events and to access some interactive portions of our Sites, such as the members-only video library.
- WIA Forum: We may collect and store posts and comments on the WIA Forum, including any personal information provided therein. If you do not want us to collect your personal information contained within the forum, please do not provide it to us.
- Sign-up for Emails: You can opt-in and sign up on our Sites to receive emails from us that include the latest information about our organization, certifications, examinations, and related news. We may collect and store information you provide by opting in and signing up to receive these emails, including but not limited to your first name, last name, and email address.
- Social Media Sites/Applications: If you choose to link a social media account to our Sites, we may request your permission to access certain personal information on these social media sites, such as your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and other profile information. Depending on the social media site/application, you may have the opportunity to post reviews, questions, answers, and other content.
- Event Data: We may collect information from our events data, including but not limited to your first name, last name, RSVP, and attendance. This data may be shared with event planners and the location venue.
- Feedback: If you contact us to provide us feedback or ask questions about our Sites or any of our services or products, we may store your communications, including any personal information you include in them, so we can effectively respond to you.
The above list provides examples of how and when we may collect personal information about you from our Sites. If you do not want us to collect your personal information, please do not provide it to us.
III. How We Use Personal Information
We may use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- Customize User Experiences: We may use your personal information to create customized experiences, or to provide you information or services tailored to your interests and preferences. We may use your IP address and other similar information to make our websites easier to use and navigate as well as to personalize the content provided on the Sites.
- To Provide & Improve Our Services: We use the information we collect from you in order to, for example, process donations, manage memberships, orders, refunds, and other related transactions; fulfill a request from you; contact you concerning the donations and memberships; respond to your questions and comments; diagnose service problems; and to evaluate and resolve problems with our Sites.
- Communications: We also use your information to communicate with you about upcoming events, programs, and other related news. If you opt in as a member, we will send you emails about events, promotions, surveys, newsletters, or notifications.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions: We may use your information for generating web analytics to compile user information for marketing purposes, advertising, conducting marketing analysis, providing you with recommendations for products or services based on your profile, and promotional material planning and distribution.
- Service and Websites Improvement: We may use the information about your use of our products and services, and your other activities on the Sites to monitor user traffic patterns and to try to analyze what our users prefer, so that we can design better products and services. We may analyze the information that is collected with cookies and other tracking technologies to help us improve our function, and to modify the services and information that we provide.
- Other Legitimate Business Reasons: We may also use your information for other legitimate business reasons, including but not limited to internal record keeping.
We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible or necessary purposes deemed as such at our discretion, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned, or as required by law.
IV. With Whom & Why We Share Personal Information
We may share or disclose your personal information to the following categories of entities and for the following reasons:
A. To other WIA members in our directory.
If you choose to create a membership account, we will share some of the information you provide us to allow other members to contact you, such as your name, profile picture, email address phone number, school and alma mater, company and job title, and other information as described above in the Types of Personal Information We Collect section of this Statement. You will be able to control the access other members will have to your personal information under the Privacy section of your Member Profile.
B. To members, via posts on the WIA Forum, Job Board, and Talent Database.
C. To members, via the WIA Members-Only Video Library and Talent Database.
D. To third parties, for fulfilling donations, payments and other services.
If you choose to make a payment on our Sites, we may need to provide your information to third parties as necessary to complete your payment (for example, to process your payment information). In addition, if you email us a question, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
E. To affiliates, strategic partners, agents, third party marketers, or other unaffiliated parties who are offering products or services that we believe may be of interest to you or who require your personal information for research, administrative, and/or internal business purposes.
These parties may use your personal information to contact you with an offer or advertisement related to a product or service, or they may use such information for their own research, administration or business purposes. If you do not want us to share your personal information in this manner, please do not provide us with this information.
F. To website hosting partners and other third parties, for maintaining our Sites and providing other administrative services.
We may share personal information with our website hosting partners, and other third parties who assist us in operating and improving our website or conducting our business. We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use the personal information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer our Sites will have access to users’ personal information, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personal information to us.
G. To competent authorities, including law enforcement, in order to comply with applicable laws or court order, or to protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights and property of our and its family of Sites, or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
H. To third parties, for any reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets. We may disclose your personal information following completion of such transaction and/or during the assessment process pending transfer.
We might sell or buy data sets or other assets, which could include information about you. In the unlikely event that our organization or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, such information may be one of the transferred assets.
I. To third parties, for protecting against potential fraud by verifying information collected from these Sites
In the course of such verification, we may receive personal information about you from such services. In particular, if you use a credit card or debit card to pay your membership fees, make donations and other payments, we may use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to us, and that the card has not been reported as lost or stolen.
V. Accessing and Controlling Your Personal Information
You can specifically update, change, or delete certain personal information (such as your email address, mailing address, and payment method) on the Your Member Profile page on our website by logging into your account and clicking “Sign In” in the menu at the top of each page of the website.
A. Opting Out of Marketing Communications
We may send you communications or information regarding our Sites and our products and services. For example, we may use your email address to confirm your request, to send you payment notices, to send you information about changes to our certification process and other products and services, and to send notices and other disclosures as required by law. Generally, users cannot opt-out of these communications, but they will be primarily informational in nature rather than promotional.
Some communications may be more commercial in nature, as they may advertise a new product or service, or a new feature of our Sites. We provide you the opportunity to opt-out of such communications by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in email communications or by contacting us at [PROVIDE APPROPRIATE CONTACT]. We will process your request as soon as possible, but please be aware that in some circumstances you may receive a few more messages until the unsubscribe is processed.
VI. Children’s Personal Information
Our Sites are not intended for use by persons under the age 13 (“children” or “child”). We do not knowingly collect personal information from children, and none of our Sites are designed to attract children. In the event that we learn that a child has provided personal information to us, we will delete such personal information.
VII. Third Party Websites
WIA takes no responsibility for the content or privacy practices of external Internet sites. Other websites that we may link to are owned and operated by third parties, and WIA has no control over them. The fact that we include links to other websites does not mean that WIA approves of or endorses any other third party website or the content of that website. We accept no liability for any statements, information, products, or services that are published on or are accessible through any websites owned or operated by third parties. If you have any questions about how these other sites use your information, you should review their policies and contact them directly.
VIII. Third Party Advertisers
We may also use advertisers, third party ad networks, and other advertising companies to serve advertisements on our Sites. Please be advised that such advertising companies may gather information about your visit to our Sites or other sites (such as through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies) to enable such advertising companies to market products or services to you, to monitor which ads have been served to your browser and which webpages you were viewing when such ads were delivered. If you would like to learn more about this practice, and know your choices with respect to it, please visit here.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT DOES NOT COVER THE COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION BY SUCH THIRD PARTIES.
IX. International Transfer of Information
If you choose to provide us with personal information, we may transfer that information to our affiliates and subsidiaries or to other third parties, across borders, and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union (EU) or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personal information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and may provide more limited recourse mechanisms, including dissimilar or, at times, weaker data protection rights. With knowledge of these risks, by providing your personal information you consent to: (i) the use of your personal information for the uses identified above in accordance with this Privacy Statement; and (ii) the transfer of your personal information to the United States as indicated above.
X. Your California Privacy-Related Rights and Do-Not-Track Disclosures
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
We do not share personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless you consent to such disclosure, typically by “opting-in” to receive information from DLC or a third party on our Platform. If you do ask us to share your personal information with a third party for its marketing purposes, we will only share information in connection with that marketing, as we do not share information with any third party (other than our service providers) on a continual basis.
A. How We Respond to Do-Not-Track Disclosures
At this time, our Sites do not support Do Not Track browser settings and do not currently participate in any “Do Not Track” frameworks that would allow us to respond to signals or other mechanisms from you regarding the collection of your personal information.
XI. Notice Regarding Public Posting Areas
Please note that some of your profile information may be exposed publicly when you participate in the Sites, such as by posting content, chatting with other users, or commenting on content. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN PUBLIC POSTING AREAS.
XII. How We Secure Your Personal Information
We have various administrative, technical and physical security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the information you provide us. We may use third party products and services to secure or store your information. That said, please understand that no data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk. If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Sites or providing personal information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the Sites. We may post a notice via the Sites if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
XIII. Changes to This Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement at any time. When we post changes to this statement, we will revise the “last updated” date at the top of the statement. If we make any material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Statement to keep it up to date on how we are handling your personal information. If you do not agree to these changes, please do not continue to use the Sites to submit personal information to WIA.
In the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personal information we have collected from you. We may disclose your personal information following completion of such transaction and/or during the assessment process pending transfer.
XV. Disputes and Agreement to Arbitrate
If any provision of this Agreement is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of this Agreement. You expressly agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute with WIA, or in any way relating to Your use of the Sites, resides in the courts of State of California.
By using WIA Sites, you and WIA agree that, if there is any controversy, claim, action, or dispute arising out of or related to your use of our Sites, or the breach, enforcement, interpretation, or validity of this Statement or any part of it (“Dispute”), both parties shall first try in good faith to settle such Dispute by providing written notice to the other party describing the facts and circumstances of the Dispute and allowing the receiving party 30 days in which to respond to or settle the Dispute.
Notice shall be sent to:
(1) to WIA at:
Women in Animation
c/o Perry, Neidorf & Grassl, LLP
Attn: Marine Hekimian
11400 W. Olympic Blvd #590
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(2) to you at: the contact information on file with WIA.
Both you and WIA agree that this dispute resolution procedure is a condition precedent that must be satisfied before initiating any litigation or filing any claim against the other party.
IF ANY DISPUTE CANNOT BE RESOLVED BY THE ABOVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEDURE, YOU AGREE THAT THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION FOR SUCH DISPUTE WILL BE DECIDED BY BINDING ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDIAUL BASIS. ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS MEANS THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE, AND YOU WAIVE, THE RIGHT FOR A JUDGE OR JURY TO DECIDE YOUR CLAIMS, AND THAT YOU MAY NOT PROCEED IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED, OR REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY. Other rights that you and we would have in court will not be available or will be more limited in arbitration, including discovery and appeal rights. All such Disputes shall be exclusively submitted to JAMS (www.jamsadr.com) for binding arbitration under its rules, before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The JAMS rules that will apply are the JAMS in effect at the time of the arbitration will take place.
The arbitrator, and not any federal, state, or local court or agency, shall have exclusive authority to resolve any dispute arising under or relating to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability, or formation of this Statement, including any claim that all or any part of this Statement is void or voidable.
This Statement has been made in and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any conflict of law principles.
The parties acknowledge that this Statement evidences a transaction involving interstate commerce. Notwithstanding the provision in the preceding paragraph with respect to applicable substantive law, any arbitration conducted pursuant to the terms of this Statement shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act (9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16).
XVI. How to Contact Us about This Privacy Statement
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Sites, please contact us by e-mail at [email protected] or write to us at:
Women in Animation
c/o Perry, Neidorf & Grassl, LLP
Attn: Marine Hekimian
11400 W. Olympic Blvd #590
Los Angeles, CA 90064